Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Silk Pure Almond Milk




Why it delights me:  I have a distant childhood memory of my mom bringing home some almond milk that she discovered during one of her routine grocery outings. I had never heard of almond milk before, but the sheer novelty of it was enough to arouse my childhood curiosity. So I tore at its cap, grabbed a glass, poured it in, took my first sip...and.got.hooked...
I downed the entire carton after a few sittings. Like an addict looking for another quick fix, I went to my source to beg for more. My mother, with indifferent tolerance to the fits and pleas of her child, patiently said she would see what she could do. Time passed and when she eventually went back to the supermarket...she discovered that they had taken it off the shelves. Since then, we have never found that same brand of almond milk that comprised a perfect blend of milkiness and nuttiness. I went through several years of hard withdrawal.  There is no point or particular happy ending to this story. Just my personal introduction to almond milk in general and a few minutes of wasting your time. However, if I had to pick an acceptable substitute, it would have to be this US-made liquid delight. Just for the sheer nostalgia of it. I know, it's not much of a product endorsement, but it can't compare to the joys of childhood memories... 

The evil genius of Silk marketing lies in its ability to make me believe that I will be happy once I buy their product. Their vanilla-flavored almond milk has "90 calories of pure almond happiness" ...and just like that, it makes me want to gain that extra 90 calories just to have that pure almond happiness. What a way to lure me back to past addictions. My weak will has, again, succumbed to the suggestive wiles of marketing. Despite that, it definitely serves well as a milk substitute. Between the original and the vanilla flavor, I personally prefer the original because you can definitely taste the "rich taste of almonds" it claims to have.  If anyone likes almonds as much as I do or if you're just looking for a milk substitute, this would definitely be something worth trying.  While it doesn't compare to my childhood expectations and standards...it will do, pig. 
I shall take the 60 calorie serving with the rich taste of almonds! 
The label on the left is for vanilla,  the label on the right is for the original. See what I mean? 90 or 60 calories of pure almond happiness...tut tut...


How I use it: By itself, in my coffee, fruit shakes, and with my cereal. I'm not feeling particularly creative at the moment. Check their website for recipe suggestions. 

Health claims:   This product makes no particular health claims other than claiming to have 50% more calcium than milk and 50% more antioxidant vitamin E than milk. It also claims to have "absolutely no saturated fat, cholesterol or lactose." Feel free to read its nutrition facts below:


Sorry, I don't know if this is a readable enough size for some people...if not, go get a magnifying glass...label on the left is Vanilla, label on the right is Original.
Allergen statement: They say it "contains almond and may contain coconut." I don't know why it "may" contain coconut...either it does or it doesn't...be straight with us, Silk! Coconuts deserve acknowledgement too...  


source
Sad coconut wants acknowledgement.


Price in Php: (as of 2012) Php 151
                                           USD 3.54


Where I have so far found it: Unimart, Greenhills; Shopwise, Libis; SM Hypermarket

Shelf-life: The carton mentions that it will stay fresh 7-10 days in the refrigerator after opening.

Product Website: http://www.silkpurealmond.com/


Other product notes/usages:  It  is lactose free and dairy-free. The label mentions that it is not to be used as infant formula. 

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country. 


source
Chipmunk bravely guards his almondsss





7 comments:

  1. Hi, you may be interested with our new small-time business producing Almond milk and other kinds of non-dairy products. You may email us at gotmilkph@hotmail.com or check our facebook page which is still under development. (GotMilk PH)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which SM Hypermarket? The one in Pampanga or Manila?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to buy in SM Makati and Bicutan a few weeks ago. You might want to check those places out or probably any SM supermarket/hypermarket. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Anonymous! Sorry for the really late reply, I disappeared for a while. Will try to check it out. :)

    Hi Ana, this is mainly in Manila. It's been a while since I've posted this, I haven't had the chance to visit the Hypermarket in Pampanga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been going through the archives here, really loving your blog! Personally I think we need more honest and straightforward blogs like yours in the local scene :P

    If you can, by the way, try cashew milk (I like the "So Delicious" brand in Healthy Options, though i can't see why it can't be made at home) -- similar nutrition facts but WAY creamier and fattier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! just to inform everyone, the reason why the allergen statement says "may contain" is because product is processed in the same machine (in the food industry, we call it "line") where other products with cocounts are being made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I had to leave my exclusively breastfed toddler in the Philippines, who doesn't like any formula milk, 1 of my friends introduced to me this Almond milk which is also safe for toddlers. It is not really a substitute of breastmilk, but i was just wondering why of all the milk i tried to her, she only preferred to drink this.
    Anyway, Silk Almond milk is also available in Sta. Lucia Mall Cainta Rizal.

    Anyone who knows where to contact the distributor of this brand? I am planning to call just in case I can get it in cheaper price for bulk orders.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...