Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Athenos: Feta Cheese


Why it delights me: It's cheese. How can it not delight me? Now, what delights me in particular is not the product per se...but the controversy over feta in general. The little devil inside me can't help but bring it up.


Now I have no complaints about this product in particular. I like feta cheese and this product definitely has a pleasant salty flavor that excites my taste buds and leaves me salivating for more. I love how I can simply sprinkle its crumbled goodness on anything from pastas to sandwiches and salads.

There are, however, certain notable things that are interestingly devious about this product.

I tried navigating through their website for more information on their company. Though pretty and visually appealing, their website has no company information. It does, however, have some notes about the product and nutrition facts. I later learned, after much Internet surfing, that Athenos is owned by Churny, a Kraft subsidiary.

Now why is this relevant?

Apparently, there has been some historical controversy over feta cheese that began in 1989 when Greece petitioned the EU to ban other member states from using the term 'feta' to label white shepherd's cheese. (To read an interesting detailed account about the feta war, click here) According to Wikipedia, "only those cheeses produced in a traditional way in some areas of Greece (mainland and the island of Lesbos), and made from sheep milk, or from a mixture of sheep and goats’ milk (up to 30%) of the same area, may bear the name 'feta'."

The big mystery is that my Athenos feta container and the Athenos website, don't specifically mention where it is made, they only say is that it is "made in the Greek way" and that it is distributed by Churny Company.

Hmmm...tricky tricky Athenos! According to Ellen Gooch, Athenos feta actually comes from North Central Wisconsin and is made from cows milk.

Well, that doesn't sound glamorous...

Ah well, but when you want a quick fix and are craving for salty white cheese, why not have a go at it? It may not be authentic, but at least it's tasty!

mmm cheesy goodness
How I use it: By sprinkling generously on anything and everything.

Health claims: This product makes no health claims.

Price in Php: (as of February 2012) Php 175

Where I have so far found it: [Philippines] Shopwise
                                               Those based in the U.S. can use their online store locator here.

Shelf-life: Not specified

Product Websitehttp://www.athenos.com

Other product notes/usages: Nothing other than Ingredients and Nutrition Information noted, see below:


Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.

source
I like fake Greek cheezzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...