Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Sordid Basil Tale






Why it delights me:  I am a frustrated gardener. Ever since I was young, I've always wanted to grow plants and herbs in my own garden. So, in my childhood, I tried gardening with different types of plants, from mangoes to papaya. I also had a baby cactus that I thought would survive through anything...and...

well...


...they all died.

Like many other people I know, I am a self-confessed unintentional plant killer.

I had resigned myself to thinking that plants just don't like me. I was fine with that, I had grown to accept it. And so one day I found myself walking through a supermarket and I passed by a small stall selling some herbs. I felt that pang of frustration you get when met with unfulfilled dreams and unsettled regrets come back in full force.

It felt like that plant stall was mocking me.

The plant stall definitely struck a nerve. Unresolved childhood issues awakened from the recesses of my mind and stirred within me a maniacal desire to bring about my childhood diabolical plan of growing my own herb garden. So I chose my first victim...

Basil.

He was carefully displayed in front of me, along with many others. The dealer slowly introduced me to each of them. Parsley came first, then Lemon grass, finally -Basil. I was thoughtful and careful about my choice. I had already premeditated where I would put him -which shady area I could hide him, where the sunlight wouldn't get to him. I didn't care about the risks. It was final! I paid my seller. She wouldn't talk, she just cared about the money.

And so, in the dark of night, I sped home in crazed delight ready to set my plan in motion.

It has been eight months since that fateful day. Basil -my Basil- is still alive. There were times when I had my doubts that he would make it through. But, in some weird twist of fate, I found myself having developed Lima syndrome. During the days I thought he wouldn't make it, I had almost given up. I had noticed his bizarre cannibalistic tendencies, especially when one of his stems began eating away at the other, dying slowly before my eyes...

I would not stand for it!

In a fit of Frankensteinian despair, I cut off the dying stem and transplanted it to a glass jar with water and shouted, "Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!"

I didn't hold out much hope for it, and left it to the fates...

Lo and behold but what awaited me several days later. It grew stems right before my eyes...

It survived.

It had lived.

My Frankenstein transplant.

The End.


How I use it: The beauty of basil is that it is so versatile. You can mix it in your pastas and sandwiches, make your own basil pesto, make basil oil etc.

Health claims: There are many websites online that promote the health benefits of basil. Among its many benefits of the Basil herb is that it contains high levels of beta-carotene, vitamin A, and is a source of magnesium, iron, and potassium. (To learn more about basil's health benefits, click here)

Price in Php: (as of August 2011) Php 30 for a small one.

Where I have so far found it: SM Hypermarket (J. Vargas). You can check your local garden store, as it is a popular herb, and probably readily available in your area.

Shelf-life: It's at your mercy...

Product Website: Not applicable

Other product notes/usages: Not applicable

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.

source
Watch out coz Frankenbasil is comin to get you.



1 comment:

  1. I purchased my little potted Basil in a supermarket thinking that I could divide it into several in different pots. I did it! They GREW - FAT and HEALTHY in spite of my BROWN THUMB. I was able to even use the leaves in salads, eggs, pasta and sandwiches. But alas, I had grown them outdoors on my balcony and swiftly came in the dark of night, Mr Freeze! Would they survive? Sadly, each fat leaf grew brown. They all fell off. Nothing left but the hard, brown, hollow stump. Thus, the end of my Basil saga. So Sad!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...