Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Suncoast Vitamin Boost: Strawberry Kiwi


Why it delights me: One random road trip back in 2011 had us stop by a 7-11, where my friend, Tina, found this little gem. We were thirsty and hungry, and I went straight for some mango cream cake and water. I don't actually remember if it was water I went for, but I'm definitely sure about the mango cream cake...

After making our purchases, and due to my general tendency to be curious about what other people bought, I asked Tina what she had purchased. “Kiwi-Strawberry,” she replied in her typically cheerful manner. I actually don't remember if those were her exact words, but I am sure she said it cheerfully, as she usually does.

“Mmm...kiwi strawberry,” I thought. I do like kiwi-strawberry flavors. I stole a glance at the rounded cylindrical bottle with pink liquid in her hands and focused in horror at the words “Vitamin Boost” printed on the it.

Gahd, that can't be good.

“Is it any good?” I asked her.

“Yeah, it's not bad,” she replied. Again, those probably weren't her exact words, but is in essence of what I remember. “Want to try?” she asked.

Skeptical, but not one to ever turn down an offer of a free taste I replied, “Ok!”

She handed me the bottle and I looked at it in doubt. Vitamin boost. Word associations that danced through my mind: icky medicine, sugar-coated overload, marketing deviousness... let's just see if you will fool me with your evil mind tricks.

I tentatively opened the cap and inhaled the sweet smell of strawberry that seduced my senses. I suppose kiwi was there too, but not as distinct as the strawberry. Mmm...strawberry...you sexy.

Then came the sip, the slow intake of cool flavored liquid that refreshed and invigorated my body with all those...vitamins.

“My God,” I thought, "It tastes just like...

...just like...

...flavored water."

I suppose I shouldn't have expected much. 

Water...but flavored with strawberry-kiwi! Cooling and oddly refreshing, no distinct sugary sweet aftertaste that irritates the back of your throat. I took another look at the bottle and saw the words "Clear o' vision" written on it. Hmm...quirky...what else does it say?

Reading the finer print showed this:
This is what it says:  folks we had in mind when we made this: video game testers, people who spend lots of time under the sun [sun... uv... bad stuff...], swiss wristwatch makers, anti-terrorist snipers and/or individuals who want to have better focus on life.

I definitely want to have a better focus on life...


...you totally get me Mr. Vitamin Boost drink.  

And that's how I sold my soul.

...Nah I didn't sell my soul...but it definitely won me over.

Sure, some may scoff and say that you're better off drinking water. Some may also scoff that it's a ripoff of other known brands of vitamin water. It's actually not that bad as an alternative.

Its addition of electrolytes put it almost at par with sports drinks. Its low sugar level makes it - personally - more palatable for me than other sports drinks. However, I'd just like to note that it's not exactly touted as a sports drink. It is a Philippine-made product, at least based on what little information I could find on the company. I could be wrong. If you're curious or looking for something interesting to try, or just need to quench your thirst...why not just give it a go?

Be your own judge. 

Health claims: The product makes no particular health claims, other than having lutein and Vitamin A and C. The bottle notes that lutein is a "natural antioxidant that is said to protect the eyes against oxidative damage and helps maintain good eye health while Vitamin A is an antioxidant needed for normal vision, helps maintain membranous linings of the eyes." Hence, the "clear o' vision."
It spells "Vitamin," though I wasn't able to picture all the sides... :p
Price in Php: (as of 2012) Php 28.50
                                          USD 0.67

Where I have so far found it: Shopwise (Libis); 7-11

Shelf-life: Not specified. Check expiration date.


Other product notes/usages: Nothing other than the ingredients.
It also comes in other flavors:


Apple Immuniboost
From their website: "folks they had in mind when they made this: health buffs, people who lack sleep [counting sheep don't always work], people who don't enjoy visits to the doctor and/or individuals who want to use sick leaves to do other stuff rather than actually being sick. caution: doctor's certificate not included"

Orange Boostamatic
From their website: "folks they had in mind when they made this: dragon boat rowers, mountain climbers, dirt bike motorcyclists, muay thai boxers looking to kick some rear ends, russian weight lifters and/or individuals simply needing the energy [except all the lighting and thunder storm controlling powers] of a greek god."
Check out their other flavors on their website

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.  
source
Clear o' vision you sayyy? We'll see about that...



8 comments:

  1. Tried 3 flavors. Grapes "anti-stress boost" is my first. Second is kiwi-strawberry, and then the Orange one. Been drinking this three flavors for three consecutive days, I am so eager to know if the claim is true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried for the first time today. Kiwi-strawberry. I'm at work and it was the first thing I saw that looked like it could quench my thirst. Bought it at Family Mart. Tastes good. Not sure why I googled it but here i am. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. naka sale sa watson 19 lang. ibang flavor every week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nka bili ako nean knina lang ung grapes
    Bat gnun ung amoy ang tapang amoy gasul.. contaminated ata yung nbili ko eh nka inom alo ng onti. Pg dmdghay ako na aaamoy ko ung prang gasul na mtapang ang amoy..pina refund ko na sa bnilhan ko. Sana lng wlng msmang epekto un

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ako din po nka bili ako kagabi grapes flavor parang amoy gasul ang sakit sa ulo pag naamoy mo.nka inum ako ng kunti.nong madaling araw biglang sumakit tyan ko,masisira produkto nyo pag gnyan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know if its just you guys but the grapes flavor is my favorite of them all.

      Delete
  6. the amount of sugar pushes this to approx 200kcal/bottle that's insane. My advise is to stay away from it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it says 71 calories per serving and has 2.5 serving per bottle, what are you getting at?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...