Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Marukome: Wakame Seaweed Miso Soup





Why it delights me:  Leave it to the innovation and ingenuity of the Japanese to come up with interesting and delightful products. Miso soup is one of my favorite must-have staples when I go to a Japanese restaurant. It's my go-to food, whenever I'm feeling ill - Chicken soup enthusiasts be damned!


If I had time and patience I would make it myself, but with the hustle and bustle of daily life, I rarely have time. I've long looked for an instant version of this, one that I could make at whim without the hassle of having to buy the ingredients. I couldn't seem to find one here in the Philippines... until one random day in 2011, like my personal fairy godmother hearing my plea, my squishy friend AJ came along and gave me some samples of this.

Instant miso soup in a packet! Just add water and you're good. This Japan-made convenience was exactly what I was looking for during days when I need something to warm my spirits. It's perfectly portable and also comes in different flavors: clam, seaweed, etc. I was surprised to find actual seaweed in it. It tastes just like real miso soup that I can buy at my local Japanese restaurant. Depending on your preference, you can add a cup to one and a half a cups of water to make it, because some people find it a bit salty with only a cup of water. Perfect on cold rainy days to calm your mind and soothe your soul.
Miso soup packet, front and back

How I use it: Just as a heartwarming soup on a cold day or when I'm not feeling too good. Of course - it's always good with Japanese food! To give it a more authentic feel, if you have actual tofu lying around, you can add a few cubes along with some green onions to make it more hearty.
Just squeeze it into a bowl...let's not say what that looks like...
Add hot water. 
Look, actual seaweed! 
Health claims: Miso, in general, is known for having many health benefits. Miso's many benefits include   being a good source of fiber, protein, manganese, iron and zinc. It is also a very good source of the minerals phosphorus and copper as well as a good source of protein and dietary fiber. (To read more about the health benefits of miso, click here) The USA Marukome website for the product also notes similar benefits in their soup, read here.

Price: (as of January 2012) Php 18; per 12 pc pack: 200 per 8 pc pack 130;

Shelf-life: Not specified.

mmmiso soup with maki
Where I have so far found it: AJ Villar contact details: 09175066252 (deliverable in Katipunan and Eastwood area)

Other product notes/usages: All I know is that they make it from non-GMO soybeans. The product is primarily in Japanese. Sad to say, I don't speak or read Japanese. Luckily, there are English websites you can refer to, see below.



Product Website: American Website: http://www.marukomeusa.com/products_instant.html
                            Japanese Website in Japanese: http://www.marukome.co.jp/index.html
                            Japanese Website in English: http://www.marukome-english.com/

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.

source
Grouchy kitty needs his miso soup.


3 comments:

  1. oooh. I've always been amazed at Japanese ingenuity. It's really great that you have something as convenient as this to carry around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seaweeds contain more than 13 vitamins, 20 amino acids, iodine and sodium. Kelp, one of the brown Seaweeds, contain more vitamins and minerals than any other food on the planet! We love Seaweed! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the additional info, Sally! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...