Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hacienda Macalauan's Pure and Best Chocolate Milk

Why it delights me: Back when I was new to Facebook, I would waste my time in mindless fascination with the online game "Pet Society." Not because I liked the idea of having to take care of a virtual pet, which is...a pretty useless endeavor...but because I liked the idea that I could decorate my pet's home. What can I say? I'm a frustrated faux-interior decorator. It fulfilled me with a false sense of accomplishment, it's sad.

For anyone unfamiliar with the game, during the early years of its introduction, a player needed to accumulate a certain amount of gold coins in order to purchase the furniture he/she wanted. To earn the coins, you could either run a marathon, socialize with friends, or wait to log in the next day. Basically, it required a lot of effort and time that I didn't have the patience to expend. 

Then came my friend Anton, avid gamer and social butterfly, he came around and saw me in my frustration. So many things I wanted to buy but could not afford...virtual life reflecting reality... Anyway, he came by and saw me in my purposelessly lame goal of decorating my virtual pet's home to fulfill unresolved childhood dreams of becoming an interior decorator. With unaffected amusement and partial pity, he grudgingly offered to buy me the furniture I wanted using his own virtual coins. Incidentally, he had amassed a large virtual Pet Society fortune and he no longer had any interest in caring for his pet, as he felt compelled to try out worthier gaming pursuits.

In unabashed enthusiasm, I calmly said, "Cool." 

"But..." he said.

Of course - there's always a but - "You have to pay me..." he said.

"Pay you? Pay you what?" I said in near frustration.

"Just pay me by sending [my pet] chocolate milk everyday," he said. He went on to talk about how he loved chocolate milk and how he could live on and survive on it...

Sentiments I share - and not a bad exchange for virtual wealth and unlimited access to the furniture I wanted.

And so it happened, I got to decorate my pet's virtual home and falsely fulfill some kind of childhood dream. Anton's pet got his supply of chocolate milk, which I suppose fulfilled Anton's psychological need to have chocolate milk without adding on the actual pounds. 

Chocolate milk. A childhood delight and food staple that almost everyone loves. If possible, I would like to live in a world like Anton's, where I could drink it everyday without gaining the pounds. But that's not possible...so I settle for what I can...

Low fat chocolate milk.

While I normally scoff at the words "low-fat"...often preferring and/or demanding full-fat and full flavor...Hacienda Macalauan's chocolate milk is an exception.

I've been a huge supporter of these Philippine-made products ever since I started seeing them in the supermarket. They were originally produced in small plastic bottles, but they switched it to adorably packaged milk cartons. A good display of environmental concern and consciousness. While I am a fan of the current packaging, some people have not agreed with me, often saying that it is difficult or a hassle to open.

Nevertheless, my primary concern is what it contains...rich chocolate milky goodness in a box. A chocolate drink that encapsulates the company's mission and vision of making premium dairy products. Adding to that is the company's social responsibility, participating in various feeding programs for public school children. I can support that.

Chocolate milk...creamy chocolate-y goodness that made me a faux interior decorator and fulfilled irrational psychological needs...that's enough to make me happy.

Pouring liquid joy
Drink in the chocolate-y goodness
Health claims: The product makes no particular health claims, other than having Vitamin A

Price in Php: (as of 2012) Php 27.00
                                          USD 0.63

Where I have so far found it: SM Hypermarkets; Shopwise; 7-11

Shelf-life: I had some initial complaints about their shelf-life, which, in the past, did not seem to last before its expiry date. I also saw similar complaints on their former website. However, they seem to have noticed and have made some observable changes that I have noted, seeing that it now lasts at least till its noted expiry date. I do recommend consuming it immediately.  


Other product notes/usages: Their website mentions that there are: No antibiotics; No added growth hormones for their cows; No dangerous pesticides; No genetically modified organisms (GMOs); No artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives; No hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats; and No artificial sweeteners


Other delights from Hacienda Macalauan
Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.  
source
Chocolate puppeeh says: "mmm...low fat you say? I may just give it a go..."

After Note: Chocolate puppies should not drink chocolate milk.

4 comments:

  1. They're selling it (milk and yoghurts alike) in Robisons Supermarket in Robinsons Galleria :)

    I like the Pure & Best Whole Milk the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have it at SM and S&R. Hacienda Macalauan actually crossbred Australian and New Zealand cows with local ones to produce this milk. It's better than the ones in US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like their yogurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought it from Fisher Supermarket at Fisher Mall :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...