Tuesday, March 6, 2012

ChocoATBP: Tsokolate ng Sindikato de Cacao

Why it delights me: Drinking Filipino hot chocolate is one of my favorite pastimes. There's something nostalgic that I love about it that makes me think of cuddling under a warm blanket on a cold rainy day or that makes me remember happy times with friends and family. Of the different forms of Philippine chocolate, tablea is
probably the most well-known (Click here to learn more about tablea). Another form of Philippine chocolate is the cocoa paste. So far, there are two forms of cocoa paste that I have come across, pure cocoa and cocoa mixed with ground nuts, usually ground peanuts or ground kasuy (cashew nuts). Now, I would like to reiterate that I am not a food expert, so anyone wanting to correct me on this is free to do so, as these are primarily based on personal observation. Philippine drinking chocolate, in general, varies from area to area, and is always made differently. 

This particular post highlights a delightful product I came across in one of my random wanderings.  ChocoATBP's Tsokolate ng Sindikato de Cacao, hails from the Davao Peninsula in the Philippines. This rich drink is said to be made from 100% pure cacao and has 45% to 50% cocoa butterfat. What I particularly like about this pure cocoa paste is that it is unsweetened, and allows me to adjust the sweetness to my preference. As I sip in its smooth consistency, I definitely taste a bold and deep dark chocolate flavor that excites my taste buds and warms my spirits.

Unfortunately I didn't have a stainles steel pot...nor a batirol...and I couldn't find my molinillo...so I cheated with CorningWare and a spoon. Don't judge me....


A side note: Batirols and molinillos are often used when referring to the making of Philippine chocolate drinks. I have often confused these terms. For the curious of mind or for those who want to know or learn more about it, feel free to read about it from this blog.  



How I use it: Great on a cold rainy day with a grilled cheese sandwich...or a grilled kesong puti sandwich. Also perfect anytime of day or with your breakfast. 

Health claims: The product makes no particular health claims.

Price in Php: (as of 2012) 250g =  Php 300

Where I have so far found it: Eastwood Weekend Gourmet Market

Shelf-life:  Follow expiration date. My bottle expires after a year...so I suppose then, that its shelf-life is for a year. ;p


Other product notes/usages: The label mentions that no sugar, cornstarch or other binders or other ingredients were added to this blend. They also mention that there is no need to refrigerate. Read picture below for more info:
I'll try to update this with a better picture, without missing words. Sorry about that!

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.

source
Chocolate puppeeh wants yumeeh chocolate he can't have...sniff.

5 comments:

  1. Do you know if this ChocoATBP is exported to the USA? Would/could it be available at the major Filipino or Asian supermaket chains in California?

    Sure would like to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The major chains are: Seafood City,
    SF Supermarkets, 168 Supermarkets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I honestly wish I could be of more help here, but I honestly don't know. You might want to ask them directly on their Multiply website here: http://chocoatbp.multiply.com/ Or contact them through their email address: cs@chocoatbp.com or through Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ChocoATBP/ I hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mik, and Anonymous: We at ChocoATBP are presently working on the steps needed to bring our house-blend "Tsokolate ng Sindikato de Cacao" and our Patit's Super Tiltilan to the USA. We are preparing to undergo US-FDA product standards testing protocols and are having the shipping procedures and costs determined. We will let you know once the work has come to fruition. Meanwhile, Maraming Salamat po sa inyong pag-tangkilik at suporta :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, thanks for the update ChocoATBP! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...