Monday, February 20, 2012

Chin Hsin: Vegetarian Citrus Spareribs



Why it delights me: I am a meat-eater, but once in a while it's interesting to try a vegetarian alternative. I've tried fake meat before but have been met with several disappointments, due to unpalatable textures and tastes. When I came across this the other day, I thought
I'd give it a go. It sounded appealing, I've never heard of citrus spareribs before, so why not try this Taiwanese-made curiosity out? I honestly had my doubts and I was not expecting much. As with any new food find I come across, I couldn't wait, so I excitedly took out my frying pan, turned the burner up to high heat, added a sprinkling of oil, and fried it to my satisfaction. Then I brought out my metal chopsticks, to give myself the pretense of eating at an Asian restaurant, then took my first bite...and a burst of flavor seared through my senses. I can't seem to describe the taste in words, but for anyone who has tried Hoisin sauce, and liked it, then think of that when you think of this...a sweet-and-spicy mix of Hoisin-like flavor and other spices. 

While the product calls itself "citrus spareribs" I honestly did not taste anything citrus-y, despite this, it was still quite flavorful. The texture of this soy-based delight comes close enough to meat with a firm feel and adequate level of chewiness that I look for in real meat. Definitely something to try if ever you're looking for a meat alternative. As a side note, some colleagues of mine have noted an aftertaste that some people unused to soy-made products may not find entirely appealing. I, personally, don't mind it, and didn't even notice it, as with a few other colleagues who liked it as much as I did. Feel free to try it yourself and you be the judge.    


It looks like real meat!


How I use it: I tried frying it and eating it with rice.








 I've also tried it with bread....




not bad!


Health Claims: This product makes no health claims other than being high in fiber, having no alcohol, and no cholesterol. Nutrition facts are posted below:




Price in Php: (as of Feb 2012) Php 160 
                                                   USD $3.73

Where I have so far found it: SM Hypermarket, Cubao

Shelf-life: Follow expiration date

Product Websitehttp://www.chinhsin.com.tw/ It's in Taiwanese, which I can't read...

Other product notes/usages: The label mentions that it can be cooked in the microwave, while I haven't tried this, I definitely recommend pan frying it on a stove. It also mentions to keep it frozen at -18 C and that it stores for one year if unopened.

Where else can you find it? For anyone who knows, feel free to comment or give recommendations to other people who may be looking for it in your area or country.


source
Happy uneaten piglet relaxes under the glow of the morning sun







4 comments:

  1. These citrus spareribs look delish! Next weekend, I will definitely go to SM to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "lechon de Leche" looks too cute to eat. You weren't thinking of eating the "uneated" were you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, no worries! I'm just sticking with the veggie meat for now :) The little "lechon de leche" is happy and alive somewhere. ;p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...